Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Prayer request — medical

A more recent photo of the two of us taken in Chicago in July 2007. The Bean was very fingerprinted but who can resist taking a photo like this? Didn't feel like taking the big camera in the city but the little one did just fine.

One of our travel concerns is staying healthy. If you ever listened to Kathy and Judy on WGN radio they would have a segment at the holidays called "Merry Medical Christmas." This involved the listeners sending in actual holiday letters they had received which contained way too much detailed medical information (read that as disgusting bodily fluids and just TMI [too much information]). The hosts would change the names and read them on the air. You can't believe what folks felt free to tell each other in a semi-public forum. I suppose if you've ever overheard a cell phone conversation in the grocery store you know what I mean. But I digress ....

This will not be TMI.

Here are our two main medical concerns — I am allergic to three of the four major antibiotic groups. I have been registered with the Medic Alert organization since I was five years old because penicillin almost killed me then and probably still would. Now two other antibiotic groups have joined the list. This forces me to travel with my own antibiotic. I do not want to get sick where it would require medical staff to make a judgment call about giving me medicines.

Lisa has a manageable case of Chron's Disease. She cannot get certain infections as they would require hospitalization and would wreak havoc on her digestive system. Certain foods also create problems with her system and we don't know what we're going to be eating in Africa. You can research Chron's if you want to know more about it.

Those of you who know me, know that I travel with granola bars and sometimes with a jar of peanut butter. Yup, the PB is already purchased, has its own passport and is ready to go. Unfortunately, can't travel with chocolate :(

Please blanket us with prayer and specifically to stay healthy. We're going to Africa to teach as part of a training conference. The purpose of this trip is to glorify God through the talents which he has given us. We feel that God has set out a plan and we trust that he will continue to lead us.

Habakkuk 3:18-19 yet I will rejoice in the LORD! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign LORD is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread up on the heights.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment